Serums are an essential part of any skin care regimen. By their formulation, they are capable of bringing about a dramatic change to your skin over time. Serums are formulated with ingredients to target specific skin issues such as dryness, acne, age spots, aging, etc. When the issue is dry skin, the best serums for dry skin are those containing ingredients designed to tackle dehydration and lack of moisture in your skin.
Why Do You Need Serum in Your Skincare Routine?
Serums are a lightweight product formulated with a high concentration of active ingredients designed to penetrate deeply into the skin to deliver its nutrient directly to the skin. Their ability to penetrate deeply into the skin stems from the fact that their active ingredients have smaller molecules which allow them to be quickly and easily absorbed by the skin.
Serums are different from moisturizers and should not be used as an alternative, especially if you have dry and mature skin. Moisturizing creams and lotions have thicker and heavier ingredients and as a result, the product sits on your skin to form a protective barrier and lock in moisture but in the process, they lock out beneficial active ingredients. Serums, on the other hand, because they are made with smaller molecules, is deeply absorbed quicker and easier by the skin.
What Serums Do For Your Skin
Serums work at both the surface and the deepest layers of your skin. Working on the surface they combat topical skin problems like dryness or scarring, and in the deepest layers of the skin, they take care of issues that start deep within the skin such as loss of elasticity.
Serums are meant to repair damage to the skin cells, working on a wide range of skin concerns in the process. The ingredients in it help fight free radical damage, aging, acne, skin pigmentation as nutrients are delivered right into the skin cells. The benefits that serums can offer your skin when you incorporate them in your skincare routine include:
- Repairing sun-damaged skin
- Deeper skin hydration
- Skin firming and improved texture
- Exfoliation and a smoother, more radiant skin
- Calming redness and sensitivity
- Clearing and preventing blemishes
- Fading brown spots and pigmentation
How To Choose a Serum For Dry Skin
Serums are formulated to target specific skin concerns. Depending on what skin problem you wish to treat there are serums packed with ingredients to address that problem and transform your skin. When it comes to dry skin there are specific ingredients to look for in a serum.
A hydrator is an ingredient that attracts water to the skin. It does this by collecting moisture in the environment and binding it to the skin allowing the skin to absorb water. These ingredients are excellent for use on dry skin and are included in dry skin serums. Hyaluronic acid and Aloe Vera are perfect examples of hydrators.
These are ingredients that draw water to the skin from the environment and from the outer layer of the skin. They bond with water molecules to increase the water content in the skin. Examples of such ingredients include Aloe Vera, glycerin, sodium PCA, hyaluronic acid, and they are included in serums to help keep skin hydrated
A skin which is dry or dehydrated is more prone to wrinkles than that which is not. A serum which contains ingredients that address wrinkles and fine lines in addition to hydrators and humectants is an excellent one for dry skin. This is where antioxidants come in.
Antioxidants are substances that can stop, prevent or delay free radical damage to cells in our skin. They are included in serums formulation to afford us healthy skin and ward off aging signs. Look for these ingredients in dry skin serums for their added anti-aging benefits to your dry skin treatment.
The 4 Best Serums For Dry Skin
Now that you know the ingredients to look for in a dry skin serum, let us look at these serums which are some of the best and most effective ones to help your skin look hydrated, youthful, and glowing. They are featured in no particular order.
1. Kerstin Florian Correcting Hyaluronic Serum
This serum is a product that I know your skin would love. It is packed to the brim with a bunch of ingredients that would do your skin a world of good. Hyaluronic acid in it is a substance naturally found in the skin which our skin uses to maintain its moisture level, so it is very natural.
This ingredient acts as a hydrator and helps to keep water within your skin cells making it excellent as a moisturizer for your skin. Aside from improving your skin hydration it will also boost collagen production by your skin thereby helping to firm your skin.
This pick from Kerstin Florian also contains botanical extracts possessing antioxidant benefits like chamomile and algae, along with proteins to hydrate your skin and effectively repair its barriers and protect it from oxidative damage. The added anti-aging benefits of the serum restore your skin’s clarity and firmness.
The product which has a natural fragrance does not contain parabens or oils.
Kerstin Florian Correcting Hyaluronic Serum 30 ml / 1 oz. $90
2, Airelle Intense Hydrating Repair Complex
This serum from Airelle is packed with naturally derived ingredients which are diligently researched by a team of experts in the skincare industry. This antioxidant-infused product is a top quality serum designed to be hydrating and anti-aging at the same time.
Some of the main ingredients of this serum are aloe barbadensis (Aloe Vera) leaf juice and sodium hyaluronate which will ensure maximum hydration for your skin, and also Berrimatrix, a powerful natural antioxidant to help improve fine lines and wrinkles and also slow the onset of the formation of new ones.
Coconut oil, as well as other natural oils, are included in its formulation to not only moisturize your skin but to improve your skin texture and uneven skin tone as well. This lightweight product’s unique combination of ingredients which includes manuka honey, copper, vitamins C and E, work together to help prevent and reduce collage breakdown thereby firming and strengthening your skin’s elastin.
This is what this product would do for your skin with consistent use over time:
- Hydrate and improve your skin
- Improve the texture and appearance of your skin and uneven skin tone
- Protects your skin from environmental damage that causes your skin to age.
- Slows down the onset of the formation of new wrinkles
Airelle Intense Hydrating Repair Complex 50 ml /1.7 fl oz $116
3, SkinMedica HA5 Rejuvenating Hydrator
This serum, an extremely high-quality product from skinmedica, a company known for their advanced and clinically tested formulations, utilizes 5 blends of hydrators that work to replenish your skin.
The secret of the efficacy of this serum, targeted at delivering immediate and long-term hydration and anti-aging benefits as well as to support skin’s natural ability to replenish its own Hyaluronic Acid, is the 5 different highly advanced forms of hyaluronic acid used in it, and the skinmedica exclusive VITISENSCE technology
Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring substance in our body and is well-known for its benefits for our skin especially for its ability to alleviate dry skin and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. It is a humectant which draws water to your skin and helps to prevent its loss as well as an excellent moisturizing ingredient, topical use of which will have amazing effects on your skin.
The SkinMedica HA5 Rejuvenating Hydrator features the following forms of hyaluronic acid:
- Time release hyaluronic acid, a skinmedica proprietary ingredient that allows for slow and sustained release of doses of hyaluronic acid to the skin
- Sodium hyaluronate, a form of hyaluronic acid that stimulates immediate hydration
- Cross-linked Hyaluronic acid which helps to deliver long-lasting hydration to the skin
- Nano hyaluronic acid, a form of hyaluronic acid which soothes the skin, and
- Uncross-linked hyaluronic acid which smoothes as well as hydrate the skin.
- The multiple forms of HA used in this formula make it a unique product for skin hydration and for the overall health of the skin. Thus, whereas other available hyaluronic serums moisturize the surface of your skin temporarily giving you the false impression that your skin is moisturized, this serum accelerates and balances moisture levels in your skin instantly providing up to 8 hours continuous moisture. The exclusive VITISENSCE technology of skinmedica HA5 rejuvenating hydrator contains Vitis Flower Stem Cells Extract, Peptide Complex, and French Polynesia Polysaccharides all of which are high in antioxidant benefits hydrate and rejuvenate your skin as well as to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. This serum has had a lot of positive reviews from users most of whom report seeing an immediate improvement in the appearance of their skin. To see what users are saying about this product, click below
SkinMedica HA5 REJUVENATING HYDRATOR (Age Defense) (2 oz / 56.7 g) $178
4, Zenmed B5 Hyaluronic Plumping Serum
- This serum, a product from the Zenmed products range is excellent for hydrating the skin. It is packed with a couple of ultra-hydrating ingredients naturally derived to moisturize your skin and remove fine lines from it. Having a very thin, running consistency, this formula is easily absorbed to do a good job of hydrating your skin without leaving any greasy residue. A multitasking serum, it is formulated with hyaluronic acid and vitamin B5 which helps to bump up the collagen level of your skin by drawing moisture to the surface of your skin resulting in an improvement in its dryness, damage and aging signs. Other ingredients which this serum benefits from include: Seaweed Extract: An ingredient packed with antioxidants, amino acids, vitamins, and minerals, which offer your skin not only ultra-hydrating benefits but anti-aging, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial ones making it very ideal for fighting most of your skin concerns.Ubiquinone (CoenzymeQ10): Naturally occurring in the body, when topically applied topically, it easily penetrates your skin to reduce free radical damage and assists cells to build collagen and elastin to reduce the appearance of fine line and wrinkles on your skin.Caffeine: Possesses antioxidant properties making it a powerful free radical fighter to reverse and prevent UV damage to your skin.Green Tea Extract: A powerful antioxidant which helps to protect your skin against environmental pollutants. The rich polyphenols in it deliver antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits to your skin to help slow down the aging process and maintain your skin’s vitality and improve its natural tone and glow.As a result of this serum’s rich ingredient profile, it is able to do all that it promises and because of this, it is well-loved. There are many reviews by users of it on the product’s website, and almost all of them are positive. To see what users are saying about it, click below
B5 Hyaluronic Plumping Serum | Hyaluronic B5 Serum Reviews | ZENMED 1 fl oz / 30ml $32
Choosing the right serum for the skin concern which you want to treat is the first step towards achieving your desired results. The way you use it and the consistency also brings to bear on your results. The recommended usage of most serums is twice daily, morning and evenings, after cleansing. However, in some cases, your serum may contain a contrary instruction. For this reason, you are advised to read instructions on the label carefully and abide by them for maximum results. Note however that all skins are not created equally, therefore, individual results may vary
Do you experience dry skin problems or have you achieved better results with any other serums for treatment of dry skin? Please share with us by leaving your contributions, comments, or questions below and I will gladly get back to you.