Raw honey, pure honey, or natural honey… they are all the same. They all mean honey in its natural state, one that has not been subjected to any process involving heat. Honey has so many nutritious ingredients making it very beneficial, not only for health but for skin care as well. And because of the benefits which your skin stands to gain from a natural honey skin care, ways by which you can use natural honey for skin care to afford your skin all the benefits have been discussed in this article. Read on.
Natural honey, ( also called unpasteurized honey) is honey as it is collected or extracted from the beehive. It has all the nutrients such as vitamins, antioxidants, enzymes, and others intact. It is no wonder that it is a great product for skin care.
Honey’s Benefits For Skin
Natural honey’s benefits for skin are numerous. It’s an incredibly versatile ingredient to use on skin, and this is due to the large number of beneficial ingredients found in it.
Honey contains natural antibacterial properties. According to an article published in April 2011, “…medicinal importance of honey has been documented in the world’s oldest medical literature, and since ancient times, it has been known to possess antimicrobial properties as well as wound-healing activity”
The article goes on to attribute honey’s microbial property to an enzyme (Glucose Oxidase) contained in honey which produces Hydrogen Peroxide, a known antiseptic. As a result of this ingredient, honey can kill germs and bacteria including acne-causing ones. In addition, it encourages faster recovery from acne and breakouts when they occur, as well as speedy healing of wounds.
This property of honey also makes it helpful in reducing the appearance of scars and encourage healing and tissue regeneration.
Honey has been described as an emollient, a humectant and soothing. Honey naturally draws moisture to itself. Hence, while it is cleansing your skin and eliminating bacteria in the process, it is at the same time drawing moisture back into your outer skin
It has the ability to hold onto water thus hydrating your skin without leaving any oily feel. Honey is also a natural source of Alpha Hydroxy Acid (AHA) which makes it an excellent exfoliator.
Honey is a natural preservative. Right from the ancient times, honey has been used to preserve dead bodies and foodstuffs of plant and animal nature.
According to Honeypedia, the preservative effect of honey is due to the plant antibiotic (Phytoncides) and sugar contained by it. It further says that phytoncides have bacteriostatic (ability to inhibit the growth of microorganism) and bactericidal (ability to destroy microorganism) effects thus preventing the process of decomposition. This accounts for why it is a great natural anti-aging skin care product.
Our skin has an acid mantle which plays an important role in the overall health of our skin. The acid mantle acts as a barrier and preserves the skin natural pH. The acid mantle acts as an invisible shield and protects the skin from bacteria, virus and other harmful elements.
According to Banish.com, the skin is naturally acidic ( it needs acidity to inhibit bacteria growth and when it is too alkaline, it becomes susceptible to bacterial infection ) and exists at an acid pH of between 4.5 – 6.5 depending on the individual. The acid mantle of the skin can be disrupted and the pH level raised when you use products that are not pH balanced (too alkaline).
Skin care products, like bar soaps and harsh cleansers and toners, can wash and scrub away your acid mantle thereby raising the PH of your skin. The consequence is that your skin becomes vulnerable to all kinds of bacterial infection.
Honey, on the other hand, does the opposite. With a low pH of between 3 and 4.5, it preserves the skin’s acid mantle and regulates your skin’s natural pH so your skin can thrive, rather than remain in a combative state, says Kale and Caramel.
With all these attributes that honey possesses, here’s what it can do for your skin
- Acts as a natural cleanser to remove dirt from your skin without drying it out.
- Its antibacterial properties help fight impurities on your skin, which can settle into pores leading to breakouts.
- It is a pH balanced product which strengthens your skin’s protective barrier while cleansing and moisturizing it.
- Helps skin turnover by removing dead skin cells and promoting new cell growth.
- Its antibacterial properties help fight bacteria that lead to acne and pimples and generally defend the skin from germs
- Its antibacterial properties reduce redness and soothe inflammation arising from skin infection
- Its natural polysaccharides (sugars) contain enzymes that boost skin cell function
Ways Of Using Natural Honey For Skin Care
Honey is suitable for all skin types from dry to oily, acne-prone skin. It is so mild on the skin that most people especially those with sensitive skin can benefit from its gentle cleansing and purifying effects says Benefits of honey.
And depending on the skin concern you wish to treat, there are several ways that you can use honey to care for your skin. You may also combine honey with several other ingredients to achieve different effects.
Natural honey possesses cleansing properties due to its acidic nature and the antioxidants contained in it. It gently cleanses dirt and impurities from the skin without stripping it of its natural oils. This is the advantage that honey enjoys over foaming cleansers and soaps which strip the skin of these protective oils.
It is important that you remember that honey can not clean makeup from your face, so you would have to resort to other cleansing methods for that.
How To Use
- First, clean your face of any makeup using your regular cleansing method
- Then wet your face with warm water.
- Take a little amount of honey onto your palm and warm it up by rubbing your palms together
- Next, using a circular motion, massage it into your face taking care to avoid the eye area.
- Leave it on for 2 to 3 minutes and wash off using warm water
As A Moisturizer
Because honey is a natural humectant, it has the ability to absorb moisture from its surroundings and hold onto water. This attribute of honey makes it a potent moisturizer, as it hydrates without creating an oily feel.
How To Use
- Take a generous amount of honey onto your palm.
- Warm it up and spread over your face.
- Leave on for a few minutes and rinse off with warm water or with a warm washcloth.
- Follow with the application of your regular moisturizer
During extremely dry weather such as the winter seasons, you may combine honey with any plant oil (Argan, coconut, avocado or olive oil) which is suitable for your skin.
As A Face Mask
Honey is especially beneficial as a face mask when left on your face for 20 minutes.
How To Use
- Take a spoon of natural honey and apply on the face
- Gently rub it in and leave on for 20 minutes
- Then rinse off with warm water.
According to Benefits of honey, when it comes to using honey as a face mask for skin care, there are many recipes and endless combinations using whole foods to treat different skin types and skin concerns. For instance, you can combine honey with the following foods to treat the following concerns:
- Honey with apple for normal skin
- Honey with avocado and egg yolk for dry skin
- Honey with cocoa, papaya and oatmeal powder, or honey with carrot for oily skin
- Honey with banana, oatmeal, and egg for sensitive skin
- Honey with lavender essential oil for all skin types
- Honey with lemon juice for skin lightening for all skin types
- Honey with bee pollen for healing and repairing troubled skin
For Acne And Acne Spot Treatment
Honey’s amazing anti-bacterial properties make it a fantastic treatment for acne.
How To Use
- Apply natural honey to your troublesome spots and leave on for about 10 minutes
- Thereafter rinse off with warm water
You’ll be amazed at the effect. This treatment also fades acne scars
Honey can be combined with a number of other ingredients in a mask for treatment of acne. For instance, it can be combined with coconut oil, tea tree oil, aloe vera, tomatoes, apple cider vinegar, etc to effectively treat acne.
The use of a plain honey mask effectively gets rid of aging signs like fine lines and wrinkles on your face.
How To Use
- Wash your face properly
- Then apply honey on your face.
- Leave on for 20 minutes and rinse off with warm water
For anti-aging treatment as well, you can combine honey with other substances like spices (nutmeg and cinnamon), fruits (apple, avocado, and lemon juice) and plant oils (olive and coconut oils) to effectively treat certain skin issues that arise as a result of premature aging.
Natural honey is an amazing ingredient for skin care. It owes its effectiveness at treating the various skin conditions to its antiseptic and nutritious properties. You can use it on your skin alone or combined with other ingredients to create great skin care recipes that would help you in treating most skin problems
However, in order to enjoy the benefits of this wonderful product, ensure to purchase the real natural honey which can be labeled as “Raw“, “All-Natural“, “Organic” and “Pure” honey. You can buy natural honey from beekeepers in your locality or online. It is also available here
Do you use honey in your skincare, and what benefits have you achieved? Do share with us by leaving your contributions, comments or questions below and I would gladly get back to you.